Thank you to everyone who submitted their video for the contest! The top three will be notified by July 15 and public voting will begin on August 15. Be sure to LIKE the JMU Alumni Association Facebook Page to vote for your favorite video in August!
For the first time, the JMU Alumni Association is sponsoring a National Anthem Contest Homecoming weekend. All contestants will be entered into a contest to sing the National Anthem with the Marching Royal Dukes prior to the 2014 Homecoming game on November 1.Timeline:
- The submission period will run from April 15 - June 30, 2014.
Entries will be judged by a panel of judges and the top three will be chosen.
- Finalists will be notified on or around July 15, 2014.
The top three videos will be posted to the JMU Alumni Association Facebook page starting August 15 for the peer voting period and will end on September 1, 2014.
- Winner, based on the highest number of "likes", will be officially announced on September 3, 2014. Grand Prize:
Live vocal performance of the United States National Anthem, accompanied by the JMU Marching Royal Dukes prior to the Homecoming football game on Saturday, November 1, 2014.
- Lodging for 2 nights at the Courtyard by Marriott in Harrisonburg, VA
- 2 club seats to the JMU Homecoming Football game on November 1
- 2 tickets to the post-game dance party with The Reflex
in the Festival Conference and Student Center Grand Ballroom
- Exclusive JMU Homecoming 2014 T-shirt.Second and Third Prizes:-
Exclusive Homecoming T-shirt and a JMU Alumni Spirit pack.
- Contestants must be an alumnus/alumna of James Madison University or Madison College.
- Limited to one entry per person.
- Must be a video recording of the contestant singing the United States National Anthem in B Flat with a starting pitch of F. Cannot include any other vocalists.
- Entry must be the contestant's own rendition of the National Anthem. Lip-synching by the contestant or use of another individual's pre-recorded voice will disqualify the entry. Voice altering mechanisms or programs are not allowed.
- Winner MUST attend the Friday evening rehearsal with the JMU Marching Royal Dukes on Friday, October 31 to prepare for the November 1 performance. - Failure to attend the rehearsal or football game will result in the forfeiture of the prize and require the winner to reimburse the JMU Alumni Association for all costs incurred.